Templates, Increasing Durell Data Fields
There are over 1,000 data fields in Durell. If Durell sent all of these to Word when starting a letter it would load very slowly. As you'll probably only need around 70 of these data fields, only that group, or “Data set”, is sent. This standard group is called “Standard”. To add more fields to the “Standard” data set, starting from the Durell Main Menu…
- Click “People”
- Click the green “W” button on the toolbar (top right of the screen)
- Click the “New” button
- Click the "Document" button
- Click the “Setup” button (to the right of the "Data Field Set" dropdown)
- Use the “Select table” drop-down to select the table (e.g. “Policy details 1”)
- In the “Select fields” list, click and highlight the field you require (e.g. “Reference”)
- Click the “>” button to move the highlighted field into the “Selected” list
- Click the “
- Click the “>|” button to select all of the fields in a given table (n.b. not recommended, as likely to be slow and cause Word to crash)
- Click the “|
- Continue selecting other fields from other tables, as required, then…
- Click “Save” to save the revised data set
- Click “Close”
The numbers in red next to “Select fields” and “Selected” respectively show the number of fields still available in the current table and the number of fields so far selected in total.
Ordering Your Data Fields
By default your data fields will be listed in the order that they occur in the Microsoft Access tables used by Durell. If you’d prefer to list them in some other sequence then clear the tick and re-order them via the “Move” buttons, at the end of which you must click the “Save” button.
- It is possible to have a number of data sets, but as this is confusing you are recommended to use one data set only, and leave it called “Standard”.
- So usually, every time you go to Word from Durell you should ensure that the “Standard” data set is selected.
- You are advised never to remove a field from a data set, as it might be in use by a template
- See also Documents, Data Sets