Set-up, File Paths
Durell links to a number of other packages, such as scanning software and Microsoft Word, for which it needs to know the program locations or “file paths”. For example, one user might be using Office 2003 while another is using 2007, for which the file paths will be different (n.b. and could be user-defined).
To setup your file paths...
- Click the “Setup” button at the top right of the Main Menu screen
- Then on the “Setup” screen, double-click “File paths” in the list on the right
On the “Quotes, etc” tab...
- Leave the “Uses” dropdown set to “None” unless your licence includes Postcode lookup or InsureCom motor and house quotes. WARNING! You may get locked-out of the system if you select items you are not licensed for, or if you try to setup more users than you have licenses for.
- If you are using Insurecom you should also set the “Broker ID” and “Password” to the codes they give you because “dursoft” will only provide example quotes that cannot go live. Also ensure the “Perform pre-quote data checks” box is ticked so your data gets checked before being sent to Insurecom, thus avoiding numerous errors.
Click the “Links, etc” tab...
- Click the “Browse” button next to “Microsoft Word” – it should find the path automatically, in which case no further action is required - if not, then click it again, browse to find the program Winword.exe and double-click it. Note that 64 bit versions of programs will be in the "Program Files" folder while 32 bit ones will be in the "Program Files (x86)" one. Also note that...
- Word 2000 is usually in C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office\
- Word XP is usually in C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office10\
- Word 2003 is usually in C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office11\
- Word 2007 is usually in C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\
- Word 2010 is usually in C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office14\
- If you have clients with more than 20 policies each you can increase the “Number of policies in word link” accordingly. The number entered will be the maximum number of policies that Durell can send to Word. Do not raise this figure above 20 unless you specifically need to, as it will increase the time it takes Word to open.
- If you subscribe to Financial Express for fund price data then click the “Default” button next it, which will automatically link to the standard folder in which to store its data.
- If you wish to use your own scanning software click the “Browse” buttons next to “Image scanning” and “Image viewing” and locate the program files. If using “Irfanview”, as illustrated above and recommended by Durell (because it supports a huge range of image formats and has a batch scanning facility), then ensure you also tick the two associated boxes for previewing and passing data (n.b. these tick-box options may not work with other programs). The viewing of Adobe Acrobat files is supported automatically, so you do not need to enter a specific link for it.
- If you subscribe to Trigold for mortgage quotes then click its “Browse” button to locate the program file.
Click the “Durell Files” tab
- The filepaths shown above are the standard ones for a single-user copy of Durell running on hard drive C. No further action is required unless either you...Click “OK” to save your settings
- are running a multi-user system and wish to move your Durell data folder to a common location, or
- you wish to manage your client document folders, all as described below
- Click the “Exit door” button on the top-left of the toolbar to exit the “Setup” screen
See Setup Word regarding the "Manage doc folders" button.
Move Durell’s Data
To relocate your data files, for example to a common location for access by multiple users....
- Get all users to exit from Durell and stop using it
- Use Windows Explorer to copy the Durell data folder (e.g. Imw-Data, which should include all of its sub-folders) to the new location (e.g. Drive S: )
- Edit each user’s Durell icon in their Windows Programs menu (and Windows Desktop, as required) so that the new data path (e.g. S:\Imw-Data\, as illustrated below) is added at the end of the “Target” line
- Finally each user should go to their Set-up / File paths and re-check them (e.g. the Financial Express one will need to be changed), then exit from the system and re-start
- Once everyone has done this you can delete the old data folder from the original location.