Assuming that you've already selected clients (see Bulk Selection of Clients) then to issue an email shot to them all, for example to notify a promotion, starting from Durell’s Main Menu…
- Click the green “W” button on Durell’s button bar to activate the Document Viewer
- Click “New”
- Click "Document"
- Click the “Select” button to pick a template, which might include your logo and other graphics
- Select “Current set, mailshot=Y” from the “Select records” dropdown
- Ensure the “Data field set” is set correctly (probably to “Standard” unless you specifically mean to use a different set)
- Click and thereby CLEAR the tick from the “Tick this box for normal documents…” tick-box
- Click the “OK” button to load Word, where the data fields will appear like [[Address1_Line1]], etc
- If using Word 2010...
- Click the "Finish & Merge" button
- Select "Send E-Mail Messages"
- Enter the "Subject line", like that shown above
- Click "OK"
- If using Word 2003…
- Click the “Merge to E-mail” button at the right hand end of bottom toolbar, shown below…
- On the “Merge to E-mail” pop-up (similar to the one for Word 2010, shown before) enter a subject or title to be used by all of the Emails
- Click “OK”
- If using Word 2000…
- Click the “Merge” button, then on the “Merge” dialogue, shown below…
- Select “Electronic mail” from the “Merge to” dropdown
- Click “Setup…”, then on the “Merge To Setup” dialogue shown below…
- Use the “Data field with Mail/Fax address” to select “Email”
- Type a subject or title to be used by all of the Emails
- Leave the “Send document as an attachment” clear unless you specifically wish to do otherwise
- Click “OK”, then back on the “Merge” dialogue…
- Click the “Merge” button at the top right
For this to work one of the data fields in the data set sent to Word (probably called “Standard”) will need to be the contact’s E-Mail address, which you’ll find in the “Client Details” table, just after the data fields for PhoneMobile numbers, as shown below.
WARNING! Be careful not to confuse the Client Details data field called “E-Mail” with a similar one that holds your own company’s E-Mail address, or else all your E-Mails will be addressed to yourself! To prevent this...
- Click on the first item in the "Selected" list on the right
- Repeatedly press the letter "E" to check through your selected fields for any instances of one called "E-Mail"
- Each time you find an "E-Mail" field click the "Arrow Pointing Left" button to remove it (n.b. there is a maximum of two)
Then after you've removed all existing instances of the "E-Mail" field...
- Ensure the "Select table" dropdown is set to "Client details"
- Find the "E-Mail" field in the "Select fields" list on the left, and click the "Arrow Pointing Right" button to select it
- Click the "Save" button
Should you require it again, your own company's E-Mail address may be found in the “User Licence Details” table.