Mail Shot, By Email
To produce an Email shot, for example to notify clients of a promotion, starting from Durell’s Main Menu…
- Click the green “W” button on Durell’s button bar to activate Word
- Click “New”
- Click "Document"
- Click the “Select” button to pick a template
- Select “Current set, mailshot=Y” from the “Select records” dropdown
- Ensure the “Data field set” is set correctly (probably to “Standard” unless you specifically mean to use a different set)
- Click and thereby CLEAR the tick from the “Tick this box for normal documents…” tick-box
- Click the “OK” button to load Word (N.B. data fields will appear like [[Address1_Line1]], etc)
- If using Word 2010…
- Click the “Finish & Merge / Send E-mail Messages" at the right hand end of the "Mailings" toolbar
- If using Word 2003…
- Click the “Merge to E-mail” button at the right hand end of bottom toolbar, shown below…
- Then on the “Merge to E-mail” pop-up (which is similar in Word 2003 and 2010) enter a subject or title to be used by all of the Emails, as shown below
- Click “OK”
For this to work one of the data fields in the data set sent to Word (probably called “Standard”) will need to be the contact’s Email address, which you’ll find in the “Client Details” table, just after the data fields for PhoneMobile numbers, as shown below.
WARNING! Be careful not to confuse the Client Details data field called “E-Mail” with a similar one that holds your own company’s E-Mail address, or else all your E-Mails will be addressed to yourself!
Your own E-Mail address, which may be found in the “User Licence Details” table as shown below, can be removed from the “Selected” set by clicking the “Left arrow” button…